House for rent on the Isle of Skye.
We’re offering the perfect start for a couple who wish to start a new life, living in a permaculture community in one of the most gorgeous places in Scotland.
If you are interested, please fill in the form at the bottom of the page
About the house
- The house is one big gorgeous open space. With a living space, bathroom and kitchen on the main floor and a comfortable mezzanine bedroom. It is suitable for a couple with up to a few small kids, but there is no privacy for older kids. If they are independent enough, there is the option of them living in their own caravan or tiny home elsewhere on our Rock or an extension could be built.
- Intensive renovations have been done: including new floors, a shower, cooker and sunroof, new deck, and new windows. All the electrics have been rewired,tested and certified. Plus, several layers of outdoor paint!
- Wood-fire heated, with wood supply from the forest possible. There is enough wood in store to get you started.
- 7 minute walk from the local shop and post office.
- 3 miles from the local Gaelic-speaking primary school. There is a secondary school in Portree.
- The local health centre is 3 miles, a brand new A&E has been built in Broadford, 17 miles away.
- Right next to the Armadale ferry, which connects to the train line straight to Fort William, Glasgow, and Edinburgh.
- The Energy Performance Certificate is pretty low. An E. The wood fired heating reduces the cost. We estimate it would cost £140 a month to heat the house in the winter time.
- The tenancy is for the house with a winter car parking space at the Rubha Phoil car park near the ferry.
- The house is located in a gorgeous forest with access to incredible natural beauty, gardens and wildlife.
Who we’re looking for:
- We have a plot for sale for people who want to build their own home. This house for rent could be an ideal start. Though this is not essential.
- We want our community to be a safe space for everyone who lives here. Including for children and for all of us, whatever vulnerability we might have. This means that we are looking for people who recognise that this is a learning journey, as individuals and as a community. We hope to find a couple willing to work in our community. Hopefully you’ll have a combination of skills such as project management, DIY, or food growing skills, …we are happy to be open and surprised by your potential contributions.
- We would like to give priority to key workers and people who already have links to the local community and people with young kids. There are plenty of jobs on the island for tradespeople, essential workers and those in the tourist trade. Though our dream is to welcome people who ultimately want to work mostly for our Community Interest Company. Ideas for making a living here are limited only by the imagination. Rubha Phoil is the perfect location to have your own viable, sustainable nature-friendly business. Maybe you want to open and run a shop? Tell us your dreams and we can discuss them!
- No pets, please, our land is a wildlife haven. More info here.
- Whilst mainstream schools are available on Skye, there is an opportunity and huge desire for us to create our own forest or un-school on Rubha Phoil.
What is the cost?
Rent can be negotiated through a combination of £s and work done for the community of Rubha Phoil. This means that the cost is very flexible and is determined on a case-by-case basis. Let’s chat to see how your needs meet ours!
You can find out more about how to join our community here.
If you have any questions, please contact us here.
If you know someone who might be interested, do pass it on!
If you are ready to apply, please fill in the form, remember to press submit. You should receive an email to confirm we have received your application.